Tuesday 12 November 2013

Golfing: Join the club!

With the buzz from the British Open still lingering in the office and the weather gracing us with glorious sunshine, what better time is there to grab your clubs, balls and golf tees and get outside for a round of golf! This is precisely what Liam from the Ecommerce team got up to at the weekend!
Having not golfed in well over 8 years I opted for the more relaxed (and less formal) game of a pitch-and-putt. Admittedly pitch-and-putt is not golf per se, however it does include the same gear (albeit a limited selection) and the same end goal of getting a ball into a hole within a certain number of shots. To be truly honest I was quite nervous, not so much as a result of my lack of recent golfing experience, but mainly because I was golfing against my dad.
As the hole length of a pitch-and-putt doesn’t often exceed 100 yards a full golf set isn’t really necessary. As a result, we opted for the Dunlop Tour TP13 putter and 9 iron as our weapons of choice. After handing over our money to the golf course warden who was sat in his wooden kiosk (which slightly resembled an upmarket garden shed), we headed to hole number 1.
I was up first, and to be honest my first swing wasn’t great, I’d sliced it. The ball spun off sideways into the rough, nicely accompanied by a backing track of laughter from my dad. I was glad that we’d turned up to the course early as the place was dead, so no one else could see me mess up (which is great for a beginner!). My dads first shot was much better than mine, perfected by years of practice and the many hours sat watching golf on the TV.  By the end of the first hole my dad was on par whilst I was +1, but hey, it’s only the first hole right?
Unfortunately not. 40% of the time I was slicing the ball, shooting it off into the rough, however thankfully my putting skills were much better. It wasn’t until the last two holes that I actually started getting into the ‘swing of things’,  having pulled out a birdie on both!
So there we have it, after 8 snapped tees and 1 lost golf ball later we had completed the game. Although I had lost (but not by as much as I had originally expected +1), it was a great morning out and definitely a nice way to kill a few hours.
RECOMMENDED!

No comments:

Post a Comment